Saturday, November 9, 2013

the gift of quiet

I took an unintended break from writing so that we could get packed and moved into our new place. After a long day of moving Wednesday, I am finally planted on the couch in a new and quiet place.

I won’t go into much detail about the last place. We were there for 2 ½ years and while it was affordable and what we needed at the time, I don’t miss it at all. We were beyond ready to move after the last battle with Xander’s asthma and hopefully this newer place will not only bring continued peace and rest, but good health as well. We believe the age of the apartment, along with some mold we have been finding, really contributed to Xander (and all of us) being so sick this past year. 

Sitting on this couch with candles burning, tomato soup warming, one of my favorite movies playing, and the little one sleeping, I am reminded of what a gift quiet is. Not just quite in my surroundings but quiet in my soul. After the past couple of months, this quiet is needed and invited into our home. No matter how many boxed may still need to be unpacked and how desperately I need to grocery shop. All I want to do is just sit here, surrounded by the chaos and just breathe in the peace that we have.


Transition, or change, is the most horrifying and freeing thing that you will ever experience in your life. You may be unsure of where to step and may be frightened that you can’t see what’s in front of you but change brings freedom that only makes you stronger and more thankful for the trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment